While California state employees share many of the same paid holidays as federal employees, there are a few key differences. For one, Columbus Day, falling on October 12, 2020, is a paid holiday for federal workers but not for state workers. Contrarily, Californian employees are getting Cesar Chavez Day off, falling on March 31, 2020, as well as the day after Thanksgiving.
Below is a list of this year’s paid holidays for California state workers. Keep aware that these dates may differ under specific contract agreements with different unions.
- Wednesday, January 1 – New Year’s Day
- Monday, January 20 – Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Monday, February 17 – Presidents’ Day
- Tuesday, March 31 – Cesar Chavez Day
- Monday, May 25 – Memorial Day
- Saturday July 4 – Independence Day
- Monday, September 7 – Labor Day
- Wednesday, November 11 – Veterans Day
- Thursday, November 26 – Thanksgiving Day
- Friday, November 27 – Day after Thanksgiving
- Friday, December 25 – Christmas Day